Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Our Troops

I received an email forward yesterday. It is a forward that I have probably received a handful of times and each time I scroll down and look at the images - I cry. It is a forward that talks about our brave troops and shows several images of the way they are sleeping in the middle of war zones. The forward tells us that the next time we are "uncomfortable" to remember the way that these men and women are sleeping at night. When I look at the images I think how hard it must be in their shoes. I think about how strong and tough and brave they are. I think about how they must really hurt and be scared and lonely sometimes or even all the time.

I was at the Starbucks drive thru a few months back and they were asking customers to purchase coffee to send over to the troops. I remember when I purchased my bags of coffee that they didn't offer to let me sign the bags w/ a personal note. I got really upset inside. I thought that was an opportunity to connect with them. I HAVE TO SIGN THOSE BAGS!! They kindly gave me the bags to sign and there wasn't enough room to say all that I needed to say to them. I pictured young men and women opening up one of the bags of coffee my family bought for them and hopefully reading my messages. It was a very meaningful moment to me.

I remember traveling through the airport a month ago and seeing a soldier on the tram in the Dallas airport. I wanted so badly to tell him "thank you." I didn't do it. When he exited the tram on a stop before me, I saw another lady tell him "thank you." It still tugs at my heart that I didn't tell that man thank you.

I was in a fabric store a few weeks ago looking around. There was a young man helping me. Three of his friends walked up to him in the middle of our conversation and said "Hey buddy, were taking off." One of the boys was on crutches and missing a leg. Another boy was missing an arm. The third boy was in one piece and hugged his friend goodbye. When they all left, the young man that was helping me looked back at me and said "Those are my friends. He is leaving for Iraq tomorrow." I got nauseous. They were boys.

I really don't know who reads this blog. My wish is to tell all the men and women in service for our country thank you for keeping my family safe. I admire your strength, commitment and bravery.









Reblog this post [with Zemanta]






2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much, my boyfriend, the love of my life, is going back to Afghanistan next year and reading this made me cry. I know that for him for a stranger to care enough to take time to thank him for what he does means so much. Don't be afraid, the men and women who serve our country are so proud of what they do that to have complete strangers reinforce it makes them feel great. They make the ultimate sacrifice for people they don't even know. And they don't even blink an eye b/c to them that is what Freedom is about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for writing to me. Your reply was very meaningful. Since I posted this blog, I learned of a website called: www.anysoldier.com which is a great way to reach out to soldiers. You can write to them, send them care packages etc. I am so excited to know about this site. I am hoping it will help the feeling of "helplessness" subside.

    All my prayers to you and your brave boyfriend.
    Sarah Jane

    ReplyDelete