Friday, February 19, 2010

Why Grandma Lola?


The ladybug motif was first launched in early 2000. It has transformed over time into many different variations.
One of the fun and challenging aspects of being a designer is to keep reinventing a style over and over. I enjoy that part of the design process. I like to see how many different directions I can take one concept. When I was studying design abroad, one of my professors stressed how important it was to work on "runs" until you are bone tired. It was the first time that I had taken that approach to heart. I have found it to be one of the best pieces of advice that I have ever received. Sketch it, sketch it again....sketch it fifty times more. Don't be so committed to your first concept. It is interesting to go back and look at some of the sketch runs that I have produced....you almost get kooky with your ideas but then you break into a rhythm and before you know it you have something to work with...unless you don't. That always stinks. It happens. It just isn't gonna happen that day. So you walk away from it and try again later.
I am still going back to our most popular motifs and trying to gain a new perspective on them. I think about scale, texture, stone placement, corresponding patterns, more or less detail. I love it.
Featured above is "Grandma Lola." Many people ask why this ladybug has that for a name. Well, when you go through designing and redesigning something again and again...it is almost like you have created an entire ancestory. So here we are today with "Grandma Lola."
All designs copyright Saint, Inc. 2010

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]


No comments:

Post a Comment