Monday, February 15, 2010

Nutrition Is In Da House!

The last month I have been enrolled in a nutrition class. I have always fancied myself as some what educated on the subject and have found myself to be both sufficiently humbled and gratefully appreciative for the wealth of knowledge that I have received the last few weeks.

I seem to be at somewhat of a nutritional crossroads in my life. Having turned 40 this past year, a mother of two and married to a man who's idea of a quick run is 25 miles - I am constantly asking myself; "Am I providing sound nutrition for my family?" Here I am, with the responsibility of meal planning for my family and I want to provide the best I can for them so that we all may thrive. I am concerned about what each of us is ingesting and I want the four of us to live optimally. I am finding myself wanting to take the neccessary steps to educate myself on eating a diet of only whole foods. It is a lot harder than it sounds and also a lot more rewarding than I ever expected. I began changing our home over to mostly organic foods about a year and a half ago. Now I am in the process of fine tuning those so called "organic" foods and trying to balance out all our meals so that we are well oiled machines! It isn't easy...actually it is overwhelming. So much so that tonight when I got home from my class I just didn't want to eat at all because my brain was on overload.

I'll work through it. The same way I did when I slowly transformed our pantry so that there were no more processed foods in our home...it blew my mind how many items we were eating that were advertised as nutritious, low fat, high protein, natural - while at the sametime not having our health in their best interest.

My husband and I saw the movie "Food, Inc." in the theatre last year and it confirmed we were on the right track with eating organically. I will be the first to admit that we are in no way perfect with our food choices but "getting stronger every day."

Some of the things that I have learned during my course that may interest you are:

1) The three biggests causes of inflammation are: Dairy, Wheat and Sugar
2) Soy mimmicks estrogen and is not good for us to eat unless it is in its whole state (ie organic tofu or tempeh)
3) Anytime you see the word isolate (soy isolate, whey isolate) it is NO GOOD! JUNK.
4) We all oxidize food differently
5) Storing, heating and freezing our foods in plastic is baaaaadd
6) The goal is to have all our hormones working together and are balanced (proccessed foods and chemicals disrupt this from happening)

To learn more contact:

Via Gibson, CNC, CPT
http://www.fastfitnessresults.com/

She'll change your life...for the better!
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment