Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Fine Tuning

Succulent spiralImage by duff_sf via Flickr

When we bought our home two years ago one of the many, many, many projects that needed tending to was the yard. I mean - like - there was zero landscaping. Art really appreciated the empty yard. When I mentioned landscaping - he was totally miffed. I was baffled at how he could think a yard full of rocks was an adequate expression of design!! Well, I got to work. I knew that I was doing this project A-L-O-N-E.

Two years later I am still at it. Planting in the spring, planting in the fall and when I can bare the summer heat out here, I will even plant in the summer. Not only is it time consuming but costly!

Now that I have gotten all my theatrical groaning out of the way, I will share with you how much I love it! How much fun I am having and how rewarding and relaxing it is to create our own little outdoor refuge. I am really starting to see results. Things are starting to grow up and out and even bloom and re-bloom!

I don't think this project is ever going to end. I keep finding another plant and another place to plant it. My mom laughs at me as she seems to have the same "condition" with her yard.


For all practical purposes, if I didn't enjoy working in our yard, then I probably would have deemed the yard completed about the same time that my husband Art did!

I suppose when you enjoy something you don't want it to end and you will find a way to keep fine tuning things. I am so happy to know that I will probably be enjoying my yard work for many, many years.

Besides, a few plants cost a lot less than shrink! :)






Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment