Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Why The Name Saint?


A common question that myself or anyone working with Saint gets routinely asked is "why is the collection named Saint?"

It is a good question and when I look back to the genesis of Saint, I ask myself "why was it so important for me to come up with a name that wasn't my own?"
First of all, the idea of coming up with a name for a collection that isn't your own name is in itself an exciting creative process. I remember brainstorming for a name and I also remember what an enriching process it was in helping me establish and identify the company brand. I think without the brand name the identity of the collection would not be as linear as it is today. We know who we are. We know what we create. We know our standards.

With much deliberation, we (my parents and I) all agreed on the monosyllabic name "Saint." WHY??? First and foremost it exudes a feeling of strength and integrity. The word Saint describes someone who is or has done something above and beyond good. Saint is a reminder to aspire to be better than you already are, to excel and succeed.

Graphically it was very strong.

It was in my heart to create a collection that was able to balance being timeless in style, sophisticated, meaningful enough to be worthy of passing through generations, well constructed and substantial, while at the same time being able to humorously add delicate touches of whimsy. Knowing this, I liked how the word Saint had both a yin and yang quality to it, in that it is very strong and innocent.

I still feel that the name Saint and the jewelry reflects all that it set out to be. We are 14 years in business and the name still runs strong and it still coincides naturally to our collections.



Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment