Tuesday, October 6, 2009

A Salute to Single Parents

Today I recieved the nicest email from a lady who is a single mom of two children. She explained to me that she is having a hard time right now and facing many obstacles in her life. She wrote me to tell me that she was hoping to buy a Saint bee bracelet from me over the weekend as she thought I was going to be making a personal appearence in her city. Well, unfortunately I am not going to be in her city and we aren't going to be able to meet face to face.

I was so touched by the note she sent me. It didn't give too many details but it caused me to sit back in my chair and think about all the amazing single moms (and dads) that are handling "it all" day in and day out. What an amazing task to manage.

I was in one of my "favorite stores" the other day here in Phoenix at the Biltmore called "Cornelia Park." It is basically a MacKenzie-Childs store. I LOVE MacKenzie-Childs! Like Saint, when I see it - it makes me smile and feel good. All that creativity and color and thought going into their collections just sends me spinning!! Anyway, when I was leaving I introduced myself to a sales associate who has been there since the day I set foot into the store for the first time. I told her that I was so embarassed, I should know her name by now! She happily responded "I know you! You were one of our brides." I was so suprised. Those feelings of being "a bride to be" are loooooooooong gone. I shouted back from the other side of the store "And I am still married!" The whole store started laughing. Probably not a typical response!

When thte store I left I started thinking about my partner and how sometimes it is challenging to make EVERYTHING WORK TOGETHER. It isn't easy. What a challenge it would be to carry all the load alone. To make big decisions about my family by myself or to not have a partner/friend to help pick up the slack when I feel I have nothing left to give.

I would like to salute all the single moms and dads. You are doing a great thing - an extremely wonderful and enduring thing. If they don't realize it now, someday your children will know how much you do out of love for them. God bless.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment