Friday, November 26, 2010

It's All About the Gravy!

So, I finally made my first Thanksgiving dinner. I have to say that I did enjoy making everything. It was fun to finally be on the other side of it and see how it all comes together. The turkey turned out great along with the sweet potatoes. My mashed potatoes were a little runny and the dressing was edible. The pumpkin pie was too gross to serve (I am still wondering how you can screw up pumpkin pie - but I miraculously did). Last but not least - I made the most disgusting gravy that you could possible make! Yeah for me! It was baaahhhd! What I am dumbfounded about today is that I was such a ding-a-ling to serve it! I mean..where was my head? Why did I put it out there for guests? I guess I just found myself in such motion to get things done that even though I tasted it and it was gross and I didn't like it, I thought there should be gravy (good or bad). I spent most of my time working on the gravy...maybe I felt that sense most of my efforts went into the gravy that it was going to be on that table NO MATTER WHAT! Scary!!

Thank heaven for good Aunt Sharon (aka Ina Garten), no pressure preparing your first Thanksgiving meal w/ your Goumand Aunt as your guest! She showed up w/ apple pie from scratch and the most delicious hand made pumkin rolls (ditch the pumpkin pie and white flour buns from Safeway ASAP)! I must say she handled my disasters with great class and ease. I looked at her and said "this gravy is disgusting...it tastes like a salt lick." Aunt Sharon tasted the poison gravy and calmly said "it's a little salty."

HA! HA! HA! HILLARIOUS!

Well, all in all, I feel good about the day...the food was by no means perfect but I was happy to serve my family and I think they appreciated my efforts. I love them all and maybe next time I can show them my love with better food!

Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving! Now, let's get ready for Christmas!!! Woo! Hoo!!

No comments:

Post a Comment