Thursday, January 14, 2010

Taking Time Out For Others

My friend Hester and I made a visit to the St. Mary's Food Bank last Thursday. We both had been there before - but it had been quite some time. In the midst of all the holiday cheer, we were both chatting at a Christmas party about how we felt a little empty inside. So much hustle and bustle and toys and kids and parties and traveling and so on. We were both getting a little bit too much of the good life and knew that it would be good for our souls to give of our time in much more meaningful way. During our conversation, Hester suggested we take an afternoon and head down to the food bank and help out. We were so excited. I hadn't done anything hands on to help those in need in too long of a time and I think she was itching to do some good as well.

We organized our babysitters, aka 'Gammy's -R- Us,' and made our way there for the afternoon. Well, needless to say we had a very rewarding time and received a lot out of the day. I spent the afternoon preparing and handing out emergency bags of food for people who were in real need. Hester spent her time visiting with and registering those who needed food. By the time we had to go home we both agreed that it was something we'd like to continue doing. We agreed that we would visit the food bank once a month for an afternoon of volunteering.

I felt as though I was really needed and appreciated while I was there helping. I also felt so grateful to go home to a healthy, loving family in a nice warm home where the food is enriching and bountiful.


Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment