Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Playing With Jewelry

Yesterday my daughter Lily and I were searching for something to do together while her baby brother was taking his morning nap. I remembered that I had a few large boxes stored in the garage of fun ribbons and wood beads and rhinestones. I suggested that we head out to the garage and make a necklace together.

Lily is only two, so when I try to explain to her that I am a jewelry designer it is very much "in one ear and out the other." She unknowingly takes for granted that every morning when we get dressed she gets to play in my jewelry box. Lily actually learned about the cross, the heart, the owl, the frog and the angel all from playing with my silver bracelets (I knew they had multiple purposes). She is on a big necklace kick right now. She has her own two dollar dime store South Sea pearl necklace that she loves to wear to the playground and her other favorite is mommy's special angel necklace which she is only allowed to wear in the bathroom with mommy.

So, this is a new project for Lily and me. We have done play dough, markers etc... I was really excited! Until...the first box opened up...wow. I don't know what I was thinking when I suggested making a necklace with a two year old! She dumped that box over in seconds flat! There were beads and string and plastic stones EVERYWHERE! Then after I finally made her a necklace on my own (she had no interest) I tied the pretty pink ribbon around her neck with the big, red, wood beads and she could have cared less!! Bummer.

I guess I don't really know where I am going with this. I just wanted to share that being a mom is totally the best!

2 comments:

  1. Great blog mom!
    I just love finding blogs like this
    when I have the time.
    Thanks for sharing.

    Billy James

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Billy. Everyday seems to be an amazingly wonderful whirlwind around here!!

    ReplyDelete